Pastoral Smallgoods are an award winning boutique Sydney manufacturer of hams and other smallgoods.Try their award winning ham in this Harris Family recipe for glazed ham.
Christmas Leg Ham
- 1 full bone in leg ham* (8-10kg)
- 1 1/4 cups Harris Farm Marmalade
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 125ml Pedro Ximenez Sherry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Pack of cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
* for a half ham, halve the ingredients
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Remove all plastic packaging (including the hock area which often has double or triple layers of plastic).
2. To commence the glaze, place marmalade, mustard & sherry in a saucepan over high heat & whisk to combine. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low & cook for about 5 minutes or until it has reduced. Set aside to cool.
3. For maximum flavour the ham needs to have the skin removed. The easiest way to do this is to slide a sharp knife following the skin around the top of the ham. Use your fingers to slide under the skin to remove it. This method leaves the most fat on the ham which is perfect for glazing.
4. If, like me, you dislike cleaning, line a large tray with greaseproof paper then another layer of aluminium foil. Place the ham into the tray.
5. To achieve the diamond effect, make angled slices through the fat down to the flesh, (approx 3cm intervals), then back again to create the diamond shape.
6.Push a clove into the middle of each diamond. Brush the ham with the semi cooled glaze. Place ham in the oven & glaze liberally every 10 minutes until cooked.
7. It takes around 30-40 minutes to achieve a great golden colour